For more than 60 years, NC State’s College of Education has supported and advanced community colleges across the state. Building upon the pioneering work of W. Dallas Herring and Ed Boone, we have strengthened our efforts to support all 58 colleges in the North Carolina Community College System by developing a national model and a pipeline of talented N.C. community college leaders – ultimately strengthening North Carolina’s economic vitality.
In recent years, like many other states across the country, North Carolina has been challenged with a leadership shortage in the community college system. But, thanks to generous funding from the John M. Belk Endowment, the Belk Center for Community College Leadership and Research will continue to serve North Carolina’s community colleges by creating tools, convening leaders and catalyzing social and economic mobility for learners – creating stronger, more resilient communities.
Belk Center Timeline
- NC State College of Education receives a $525,000 grant from the Belk Endowment to launch the Envisioning Excellence for Community College Leadership program
- NC State College of Education hosts annual Dallas Herring Lecture with a new focus on community college practitioners
- NC State College of Education receives $10.8M grant from the Belk Endowment to launch the Belk Center for Community College Leadership and Research and enhance its support of North Carolina’s community colleges
- Belk Center hosts inaugural Presidents’ Academy and Statewide Leadership Conference
- Belk Center hosts Finish Line Grants Symposium
- NC State College of Education hosts grand opening of Belk Center headquarters at 706 Hillsborough Street in Raleigh
- Belk Center receives formal endorsement from NC State Board of Trustees
- Belk Center launches Critical Conversations webinar series as part of the Presidents’ Academy
- Belk Center receives additional $4.3 M in funding support to launch Rural College Leaders program and Teaching & Learning Hubs
- John M. Belk Endowment launches NC Reconnect, in partnership with the Belk Center, to engage adult learners and improve student retention
- Belk Center Launches first two Teaching & Learning Hubs in partnership with Achieving the Dream and the NC Student Success Center
- Belk Center Launches Trailblazer Profile Series that highlights and celebrates the work of Black, Latin, Asian and Indigenous leaders in the North Carolina Community College System
- Belk Center launches Rural College Leaders Program